It is a complex Neurobehavioral disorder which has motor and vocal tics. It begins in childhood.
- Mild to severe debilitating tics
- Behavioral issues
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Attention Deficit (ADD)
- Food Allergy
- yeast Overgrowth
- Nutritional deficiencies
- chronic Streptococcal infection
- Neurotransmitters’ imbalance
- Assuring family that it will resolve by adulthood
- Medicines like Clonidine, Guanfacine, Clonazepam, Risperidone etc.
- For ADHD component : Methylphenidate, Dextroamphatamine etc
It depends upon the cause.
- Look for food allergy and treat
- Look for Yeast Overgrowth and treat with antifungal medicine and immunotherapy
- Identify nutritional deficiencies especially minerals
- Chronic Streptococcal infection like chronic tonsillitis: if strept is found to be the culprit, tonsillectomy may be indicated
- Check for Neurotransmitters’ imbalance and treat nutritionally or targeted therapy with appropriate medicines
Tourette’s syndrome, nasal allergies, vocal tics, “allergic salute”
6 years male
developed vocal tics in August 2000 and also displayed the allergic salute. A pediatrician wanted to put on Haldol to stop the tics. We researched and found Dr. Shahid, who tested our son for allergies and we also took him off dairy products. Within 1 week his tics had diminished by 75%! , still “tics” occasionally, but unless you asked him, you’d never know he had Tourette’s! Thank you, Dr. Shahid!!!